What I learned today:
First Visit –
- We reviewed STOP DROP and ROLL and talked about how matches and lighters are tools for grown-ups.
- We talked about how things in the world are different. Different shape, different color, different size.
- We learned that things are also different temperatures, like HOT and COLD. Easy right?
- We talked about what happens if we touch something hot, like a cookie sheet. We get burned.
- We learned that if we get a burn, the best way to treat it is to put it under cold water.
- We learned how to tell which side of the sink has cold water. We learned that the cold water sometimes has a blue mark on the faucet or the word cold. We also learned that the cold water is always on the right!
- We then got a “pretend burn” and practiced cooling it under cold water at the sink.
Second Visit –
- We reviewed STOP, DROP and ROLL and Cooling a Burn.
- We then talked about signs, like stop signs, pedestrian crossing signs and yield signs. These signs help keep us safe.
- We talked about firefighter’s favorite sign, the EXIT sign.
- The EXIT sign is our favorite because it helps people get out of unfamiliar buildings like shopping malls, airports and hospitals.
- We learned that when we hear a fire alarm we need to find the nearest EXIT sign to point the way out.
- We learned that just like in big buildings we have something in our home that tells us to find the way out and fast. The SMOKE DETECTOR!Learn more about smoke alarms
- We learned that fires make lots of toxic, dangerous smoke that we can’t breath.
- We learned the best way to get out of a fire is to CRAWL LOW UNDER THE SMOKE and move towards the exit.
- We practiced crawling low under smoke.
- We learned that WHEN WE ARE OUT WE STAY OUT.