What I learned today:
First Visit –
- We reviewed many of the earlier lessons, like STOP, DROP and ROLL and crawl low under smoke.
- We learned about leaving the house when we hear the smoke detector.
- The special place we go when we are outside is called the MEETING PLACE.
- We learned that a good meeting place must be:
- Something that is always there, like a tree or lamp post
- In front of the house
- On the same side of the street
- At least 20 feet away from our house
- We used a model of a neighborhood to help pick a good meeting place.
- We learned that once we get to our meeting place we have two jobs. Count noses to make sure everyone is present and call 9-1-1.
- We learned that we do not go back inside for any reason and we call 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s house if nobody has a cell phone.
Second Visit –
- Today we came to the fire department!
- We learned about when to call 9-1-1.
- We can call 9-1-1 if somebody is hurt or very sick, if we see a crime, if we see a fire or if we are not sure if it is an emergency.
- The dispatcher answers the phone and asks us questions.
- We learned that its important to know our address.
- We learned that we don’t hang up until the dispatcher says it’s okay.
- If we are not sure if we should call 9-1-1 we call and the dispatcher will help us.
- We learned that 9-1-1 is serious and we do not make prank calls.
- We then toured the fire station and listened to a firefighter tell us about the gear he or she wears.