What I learned today:
First Visit –
- We learned about weather emergencies and natural disasters.
- We got some bad news. Natural disasters will occur and we cannot always predict them.
- We also got some good news. We can prepare for them.
- We discussed many types of weather emergencies such as tornado, forest fires, hurricanes, earthquakes blizzards and rain storms.
- We learned about how to know when a weather emergency might be coming.
- We learned about the National Weather Service.
- We learned about severe weather watches. These tell us severe weather is possible, and to start planning.
- Severe weather warnings tell us severe weather will or is occurring and you need to seek shelter or react in some way.
- We can receive severe weather watches and warnings from TV, radio, computer and by text message.
- We learned that severe weather can produce wind, downed trees, downed wires, rain, flooding, dangerous road conditions, loss of power and many other problems.
- We spoke in depth on the correct actions to take for different severe weather effects.
- Wind- we learned to stay inside away from windows.
- Downed trees-stay away as they may be tangled with live power lines.
- Power lines down- stay away treat all wires down as live wires.
- Flooding- stay out of overflowing creeks and deep pooling water on roads. Flood water is often contaminated.
- We learned about having a family disaster plan and how to make one.